Corpus Christi, Texas, is a vibrant city with a rich coastal heritage, offering a delightful blend of history, nature, and entertainment. Whether you’re fascinated by aviation history, eager to soak up the sun on sandy beaches, interested in exploring diverse cultural attractions, or a devoted fan of Selena Quintanilla, Corpus Christi has something to captivate every traveler. So, pack your bags and get ready to experience the unique charm of this Texan gem.
- Sparkling Shorelines: Corpus Christi boasts 113 miles of beautiful Gulf of Mexico coastline, making it an ideal destination for beach lovers and water enthusiasts.
- Selena’s Legacy: The city is famous for being the hometown of Selena Quintanilla, the “Queen of Tejano Music.” Visitors can explore the Selena Museum to learn about her life and remarkable music career.
- Aviation History: Corpus Christi is home to the Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, one of the oldest naval aviation facilities in the United States. Witnessing the impressive aircraft in action is a thrilling experience.
- The Texas State Aquarium: An exciting marine world awaits at the Texas State Aquarium, where visitors can witness aquatic life up close and even have the chance to touch stingrays and sharks.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to travel to Corpus Christi is during spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are thinner.
- What to Wear: As a coastal city, Corpus Christi has a warm climate. Pack lightweight and breathable clothing, such as shorts, t-shirts, sundresses, and don’t forget sunscreen and a hat for sun protection.
- Getting Around: Renting a car is the most convenient way to get around Corpus Christi and explore nearby attractions. Additionally, ride-sharing services and taxis are readily available for shorter trips.
What to Do:
- Visit the Selena Museum: Pay homage to the iconic singer, Selena Quintanilla, by visiting the Selena Museum in her hometown. Learn about her life, music, and lasting impact on the world of entertainment. Fans and music enthusiasts will find this experience truly special.
- Explore the USS Lexington: Explore the “Blue Ghost,” the USS Lexington aircraft carrier turned museum. Discover the history of naval aviation while admiring breathtaking views of Corpus Christi Bay from the flight deck.
- Stroll along the Beachwalk: Take a leisurely walk along the scenic Bayfront Beachwalk, featuring picturesque views, public art displays, and various dining options.
- Explore Padre Island National Seashore: Just south of Corpus Christi, this protected natural wonder offers pristine beaches, diverse wildlife, and a serene escape from city life.
- Art Museum of South Texas: Art enthusiasts will love the museum’s collection of regional and national art, including works from renowned Texas artists. The modernist building itself is a piece of art.
Lisa Crow contributed to this article. She is a travel writer and lifestyle blogger based in Waco, Texas. Lisa is the Head of Content at Gigi’s Ramblings and L&S Freelance Writers. She spends her free time traveling when she can and making memories with her large family which consists of six children and fifteen grandchildren. This is the next installment in the Let’s Travel to…series, a collection of short informational articles covering some of the world’s top travel destinations.